We do feel though that some times some experiences with Lucy translate well into what it might be like to have a kid.
For instance. I know your child is a perfectly good child at home when it's just you with them. But how many of them go crazy when company visits and start doing things they usually don't do, like jump on couches, or your head, are louder than they've ever been or start sniffing your visitors kids butts. I'm assuming if you are anything like us that you get a little embarrased and have to resort to restraining your kids on your lap until company leaves or having them play somewhere else.
So then you think, may be they just need more exposure to other people and other kids. Well what happens when you start to go to play groups or you secretly watch your kid in the nursery and you soon realize that your kid is the dominant annoying one. The one that has to have everyone else's toys. And not just that but they also are able to get everyone else's toys. It seems like no matter the size difference they seem to bully their way into getting the item they were looking for. Sadly sometimes even making others cry or bark in the process.
How do you feel as a parent at this point? If you have a baby boy are you a little proud that he's a tough guy even though you are concerned other parents might feel you are teaching them these combat skills are home? If you have a girl, are you even more proud that your princess can beat up on boys twice her size? Do these feelings change if you are a mom or a dad? Do dad's feel complete pride and mothers feel like they've done something wrong at home, or is it mixed feelings for both parents?
Well it's a good thing Lucy is just a dog and I don't have to worry about my parenting skills with her. I'm not sure how Sarah feels but I think it's pretty cool Lucy is an annoying bully with other dogs. It's very fun to watch.
Here's one last embarrasing question. What if your bully kid starts to turn those more submissive kids into bullies themselves? How bad do you feel then?
The videos you watched were of Lucy "playing" with Grettle, our friend's dog (the Harris). They left their nice dog with us for a week. At first Grettle would just give up the rope, the videos were taken about mid week, now she holds her own and doesn't get dragged around anymore. Sorry Harris Family, I do feel pretty bad about that.

2 comments:
I get to use the excuse that their dad is in Afgahnistan. So, since you guys are both around I'd go with, "it's just a phase."
The carseat was all Percy's idea (is anyone really surprised?).
Post a Comment