The great Canales summer road trip has come to an end. I will give everyone a brief overview of the itinerary:
- Destin, Fl.: beautiful beaches, parasailing, playing in the ocean
- Orlando, Fl.: stayed with a friend of mine, went to Gatorland. We got to sit on a live alligator (not as scary as you would think).
- Greenville, SC.: stayed with a friend of Percy's. Percy went golfing a couple of times.
- Williamsburg, VA.: stayed with another friend of mine. Walked around Colonial Williamsburg. We honeymooned there during the winter so it was nice to see it in the summer (although Williamsburg at Christmastime was pretty neat too).
- Louisville, KY.: a friend of Percy's was performing with Julie Andrews, so he gave us tickets to the show and invited us to the cast party afterwards. It was great to hear Kevin sing and to spend time with his family. Julie Andrews did sing (her first performance in ten years). During intermission we discovered that we were sitting next to her daughter and the producers of the show. All were very nice and it was neat to meet her.
- Chantilly, VA.: stayed with Percy's family. We went to the ward that Percy grew up in. I think everyone was hoping that we were moving back! We went to the National Zoo and to Kings Dominion amusement park. We must be getting older because after a couple of rides my stomach was turning and I couldn't go on any more. But it was fun and great to see everyone again. On our way to TN we stopped at Luray Caverns which were pretty cool although the tour guide was the funniest part.
- Nashville, TN.: we spent the night in Nashville and on our way out we drove by the Grand Ole Opry, but we were too early, so we just took pictures outside.
- Memphis, TN.: Graceland. It's in a pretty run down part of town. We toured the mansion and it was crazy to see all the awards he won and even some of the great jumpsuits. We did manage to walk away without buying anything too tacky, but you could get everything from Elvis fabric squares to replica jumpsuits (Percy wouldn't buy one). It was definitely an experience.
- The Car: I started reading the Twilight series and made it through books 1 and 2 and then I read book 1 and part of book 2 outloud to Percy while he drove. We also had XM radio in the car so we listened to plenty of comedy radio.
- Totals: 16 days, 12 states, over 5,000 miles driven, over 90 hours spent in the car
click here to view road trip pictures
Here is a video of our great Luray Caverns Tour Guide (I believe he pronounces it "Cavrens.")

2 comments:
Oh my gosh you guys were all over the place! Sounds like a ton of fun. I wish I would have waited until now to read the Twilight books because now I don't remember what even happened in the 2nd and 3rd book and I'm going to have to start remembering before next week!
FUUUNNN. I am glad you guys had fun and made it back safe! I am just disappointed Percy didn't want to buy the elvis jumpsuit.
Post a Comment