Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Alpha Super Hero

I couldn't come up with a title. Sarah said that I should update our blog and, since that's what I'm doing, it reminded me that she's the Alpha Super Hero and I'm the sidekick. Which for all of you that know Sarah and I, that's a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the weak Robin to Batman sidekick. Nor am I a Watson. I'm more like Chong and Sarah's like Cheech. So we're not quite super heroes but we have a good time. May be I should have said Donnie and Marie, but that would mean that Sarah is like Donnie and I'm like Marie which would have made this post really confusing. Anyway, Sarah said I should just write what's on my mind and this is what's coming out. Hopefully the more I write, the more sense my posts will make.
I told Sarah that since she's the English major, she should be doing all the writing. She quickly replied that for that same reason I needed to keep up the blog in order to improve my writing. I then think she added some sort of remark about english being my second language but I can't remember what it was. That, or I didn't understand what she said.
I think because of that conversation I have as of late become a more in depth student of the english language. Sarah would say that I've only decided to criticize her mother tongue but we won't continue that discussion here. Any way you look at it, nobody can argue with the fact that in many instances English makes no sense. Everyone has heard the driveway vs parkway example and if pro and con are opposites so are progress and congress. The list literally(1) goes on and on. I would like to submit an entry to that never ending list and that is the usage of the word "indescribable". If there is a governing body out there that adopts words into the language, I would submit this word for unadoption or orphanization. If I understand it correctly, "indescribable" is an adjective, and if an adjective, by definition it describes the noun. Therefore once it's used, the noun is no longer indescribable. Now we've entered some sort of language paradox that I can't even begin to discuss, mainly because of lack of vocabulary. So if there are any out there that use the word "indescribable", Stop. Just say that what ever you are talking about has no words to describe it. If you think that's too much to say, just stop talking all together. The listener will know that you obviously have no words to describe what you are talking about. Anyway, I will stop my rant here. I think after this entry Sarah will decide to update our blog herself.


(1) For a discussion on the continuing missuse of the word "literally" please email us at thesupercanaleseses@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Mary Kalree said...

I found that last post simply undescribable! Will that minor modification work? ;)
Welcome to the blogging world. You'll probably be sorry you sent us the link, Ryan loves writing witty comments. (By witty I mean, mocking.)
Sarah, If I read your blog does that count for Visiting Teaching?