Monday, May 12, 2008

My Dog Poem

Sarah thought that I should post this poem that I wrote a while back. I don't want to say how long ago because it wasn't when I was 5 as you would expect from reading it. But it also wasn't a week ago. Let's just say sometime between then and now. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote it but here you go, enjoy.


My muscles my muscles are as sore as can be,
From running and jumping and barking up trees.
As I take one good look at this beautiful earth,
I’m reminded of all that’s happened since birth.
My dad was a mutt and my mother a Collie,
They taught me to serve master first and then chew on Dolly.
I loved that old Dolly with all of my heart,
Little did I know that I’d tear her apart.

I cried and I cried all day and all night,
Forgot her the next day when I got in a fight.
A tough guy I wasn’t but I gave it my best,
That Rottweiler licked me good like he did the rest.
I was now like that Dolly all tattered and torn,
Wondering why as a dog did I have to be born.
The answer came as I regained all my senses,
Well all but one, I now wear dog lenses.

“A best friend, a best friend to your master you are,
On days that he pets you or throws that stick far.
You were put on this earth to learn and to grow,
Some lessons are hard, just thought you should know.”
Inside I felt better but I was still black and purple,
(Should’ve said black and blue, nothing rhymes with purple.)
Mistakes I make often, I’m not the best pup.
My best friend, the Master, says “Just never give up.”

2 comments:

coolhandluke said...

Pretty impressive. I've tried to write poetry every so often, maybe I'll write down a couple lines every 3 or 4 years. I should talk Sherrie into putting some of her poems on her blog, she's shown me some pretty good ones she wrote a while back. How long did you try to come up with something that rhymes with purple?

30 year-old Dad said...

ummm...did this help or hurt your case with Sarah to some day get a dog?