Monday, December 17, 2012

Social Experiment

We had told a friend of ours that we were expecting another child. Very few people, except family, knew up to that point. He decided that we should conduct a little social experiment and not tell anyone and just see what happens. So we didn't really tell anyone. The funny thing is, I start showing really early- like at 8 weeks- so it's hard to hide. By 18 weeks the maternity clothes have definitely come out and maternity dresses are not made to hide your baby belly, so it was pretty obvious, but we still didn't announce anything. I started getting a few brave people who would finally hint about it (not wanting to fully ask in case the answer was that I just really gorged myself over the Thanksgiving weekend). So, the social experiment was underway to see how big I would have to get before people actually felt like asking directly or it was too obvious that I was not simply enjoying too many holiday treats. Until I was home sick with Olivia one Sunday and Percy announced it in front of the whole congregation. He is now 3 for 3 with announcing our children from the pulpit. Social experiment over. So, I guess I can blog about it.
When I was pregnant with Isaac, I couldn't understand how anyone could like being pregnant. I was miserable every single day for over 30 weeks. EVERY DAY! He was much better out of the womb than in. Then I got pregnant again. I thought I had prepared myself mentally for being sick and taking care of two other toddlers. After one week, the sickness left. No nausea, no food aversions, taking my vitamins, energy to exercise, cook, clean, run errands and walk up the stairs. Besides my belly getting big and nothing fitting, I feel fine. Really fine. I know some people never get to experience a pregnancy like this, and until now, I didn't think it was possible. It is truly a blessing because otherwise I don't think my two toddlers would ever get to leave the house or eat or enjoy a clean home. And I probably would decide that this would be our last child. 

By the way, baby girl is due May 1. 

4 comments:

Mary Kalree said...

I'm glad your kids get to eat. And I am SOOOO happy for you that you feel good. What a blessing!

Kimba said...

yeah!! i hadn't heard if you knew what you were having yet. so exciting! and holy crap, yeah for not feeling sick!! amazing, and you totally deserve it after last one!

Dixie said...

So happy for you! David and I were married on May 1st. It's a good day.

Tiffany Odekirk said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys!